Are you getting ready to rent your first apartment? Or perhaps it’s been a long time since you rented one, and now you’re undergoing the steps again. Here’s what you should to know about how to rent an apartment in Carmel, from figuring out your budget to selecting the ideal apartment and completing the application.
How Much Can You Afford?
Your first task is to figure out your budget. You wouldn’t want to become enamored with an apartment only to realize it’s not feasible from a financial perspective. Examine your finances before you take a tour of that incredible two-bedroom unit with a view. Here’s some advice to help you get started.
- Look at your net income - the amount you have after taxes - and deduct your present bills (credit cards, loan payments, etc.).
- Anticipate unforeseen costs like flat tires and emergency medical care. Generally speaking, add 10 percent to your bill total.
- Forecast costs at your new unit, such as utility bills and groceries. If you’re not sure how to begin, assign $250 per month for both.
- How commonly do you enjoy a night out? Project your monthly dining and entertainment costs.
- What is left? This is what you may allocate for rent. This is the right time to figure out if you’ll need a roommate.
Selecting The Ideal Apartment In Carmel
Exploring different properties and floor plans is exciting but also time-intensive. Be sure you give yourself ample time to search around - at least a month or two. Your first step is to decide on your preferred location. How close do you wish to be to work or school? Are you trying to find something in the city center or in outlying areas? Is there nightlife and shopping nearby? Determining an exact location will will be of great benefit.
You in all likelihood already know the number of bedrooms you’ll require, so you may direct your attention on finding the most appealing floor plan. Then, you should consider what amenities you want. Is a gym or swimming pool essential? Do you need a community that allows pets? Answering these kinds of questions will streamline your search.
What To Expect In The Application Process
After you’ve found an apartment, you need to complete the application process. You’ll need to come prepared with photo identification, evidence of income, and some references. You’ll generally pay an application fee to offset the cost of background and credit checks. If you intend to use a co-signer, inform the leasing agent at the beginning, as they might not be accepted.
Your application process will typically include the following:
- Pay the application fee
- Submit an application form
- Expect background and credit checks
- Sign the agreement
On the actual application form, you can anticipate providing the information below:
- Name, phone number, email, and present address
- Occupation and salary
- Prior address(es)
- Pets (if applicable)
- Who to call in case of emergency
- References - you might be asked for previous landlords or personal and professional references
Find The Ideal Apartment At Highpointe on Meridian Apartments
Leasing an apartment in Carmel isn’t hard to do at Highpointe on Meridian Apartments. We offer a wide range of floor plans and amenities to accommodate your lifestyle. Arrange a tour to explore our community or call 317-342-0670 to speak with one of our skilled leasing agents about how to rent one of our apartments in Carmel.